Crypto is one of just three recon-oriented characters in Apex Legends, and thanks to his versatile and powerful surveillance drone, there is no one better when it comes to situational awareness. With Crypto, you must master control of both the man and the drone. A tough task, to be sure, but our Apex Legends Crypto guide will help you with all sorts of practical tips and tidbits on how to use his skillset and abilities effectively.
On this page:
Apex Legends Crypto guide: strengths & weaknesses
Crypto’s principal ability is of course the Surveillance Drone tactical, which gives his entire team an unprecedented level of access to information on enemy whereabouts in the area. The obvious drawback is that while piloting this drone Crypto is vulnerable – so already we can see that this is a character all about situational awareness and careful planning.
While Crypto lacks any sort of abilities that might help him during a firefight (such as Wraith’s Into the Void or Bangalore’s Double Time passive), he is not entirely defenceless. His Ultimate, which must be activated from his drone, will charge up and unleash a powerful EMP over a large radius, damaging and slowing down enemies. As such Crypto also has good initiation potential, and seems to live for the moments just before the fight starts.
Crypto abilities overview
Now it’s time to take a proper look at each of Crypto’s abilities. As with all Legends, Crypto enjoys a Passive, Tactical, and Ultimate ability – but unlike some, all of his abilities feed directly into one another. Let’s take a look at each ability in turn.
- Passive: Neurolink – Crypto and his teammates see what his Surveillance Drone detects up to a 30m distance.
- Tactical: Surveillance Drone – Deploy an aerial camera drone. 40 second cooldown if destroyed.
- Ultimate: Drone EMP – Charge up an EMP from your drone. The blast deals 50 shield damage, slows players, and destroys traps.
- Additional traits: Recon – Scanning Survey Beacons reveals the next circle’s location.
Passive ability: Neurolink
Crypto’s Passive, much like his Ultimate, is bound up with his primary Tactical ability, Surveillance Drone. Without Neurolink, the drone wouldn’t be nearly as useful as it is, nor as interesting. Simply put, it is what enables the drone to highlight any enemies that it sees (whether or not you’re piloting it), and what allows your entire team to see those highlighted enemies – even through walls.
Tactical ability: Surveillance Drone
Crypto’s bread-and-butter ability is his Tactical, Surveillance Drone, which sends up a drone into the sky (or on the floor if you wish) to scout the immediate vicinity for enemies. While piloting the drone Crypto himself remains stationary, and you can switch from drone to Crypto on the fly, or recall the drone in order to deploy it elsewhere.
Here are our top Surveillance Drone Tactical tips for Crypto:
- The major downside to Crypto’s entire skillset is that he is vulnerable while piloting his drone. Make sure you’re safe before using it, and if your teammates need you, be sure to back out of the drone and help them on foot.
- Don’t just rely on your Passive to highlight enemies, because the highlighting range is fairly low. If you see an enemy, ping them for your teammates.
- You can remotely access various things with Crypto’s drone. You can open and close doors, open supply bins, retrieve your dead squadmates’ banners and even use Respawn Beacons or Survey Beacons.
- Hold your Tactical button to deploy the drone and then immediately exit back out of it. This is useful for when you only want the drone out so you can immediately detonate your Ultimate around you.
- Crypto’s drone is fairly hard to hit, but it has low health, and the cooldown penalty of your drone being destroyed is quite severe, so be sure to stay on the move with your drone if there are enemies nearby aiming at it.
- If your squad is in a firefight, it’s always better to…